Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Exercise[4]

00:03 | 00:04 | 00:05

Hello (in JavaScript)!

  1. Read Bonjour tout le monde! (JavaScript).
    • Compose and execute several variations of "Hello, World!" in JavaScript.
    • Be sure to follow all of the links in the article and read the Wikipedia articles they reference.
  2. Imagine you speak French. Write a "Hello, World!" program in JavaScript in French.
  3. What is an interpreted programming language? Use your own words or provide a citation if you quote from another source.
  4. Bonus: What exactly did the first non-trivial Malbolge program print?
  5. Email your answers to parts 1-3 above to your guide (Mr. Spurgeon) at jspurgeon@valleycatholic.org.

Update - 8 September 2016

As of 9 AM (PST) 15 individuals have submitted answers to parts 1-3 above. Subsequent to publishing and assigning this exercise, I realized that there may be very different but equally valid answers to the bonus question. Here's a summary of and a count of the number of essentially distinct answers I've received as of this writing:

HEllO WORld: 8 (with citation: 1)
Hello, World: 1
Hello World: 1
hello, world: 1
Hello World!: 1
IDK: 1
Used to give the hello world command: 1
99 bottles of beer on the wall: 1

It may be worthwhile (i.e. worth the bonus point) for some of those who have already submitted their answers and for all of those who have not yet submitted answers to read about the theory of and meditate on the value of crowdsourcing.  One of my (id's) favorite answers from those received so far is IDK, but I suspect that's merely an example of a blind cat catching a dead mouse, as my lovely wife would say (in Chinese). Therefore, I shall award credit to the person who submitted that answer if and only if they augment their answer with a good reason for their apparent lack of knowledge. The answer the grown-up in me (small as he may be) liked most was the one that a) I was looking for, and b) was accompanied by an unsolicited citation! The person who submitted this answer will go far in this world.

Had someone answered, "At present I prefer to give no answer," I might have wondered if, by chance, I had died and gone to heaven. But alas, I'm still among the living and the young in the United States of America during the dawn of the digital age. I can dream but must not depend too much on my dreams.

So in a nutshell: I shall allow those who have already submitted answers to amend any of their answers before the due date of the assignment. I shall award credit to those who provide the answer to the bonus question that I was initially looking for, even though I now have some reservations about the nature of that answer. I shall reward creative answers if and only if they are accompanied by a persuasive explanation that argues for the validity of the answer. And I shall be the final judge of whether I've been persuaded or not.

Yours truly,
Mr. Spurgeon

P.S.

Posted at 12:00 noon, 8 September 2016: Related research project for the truly motivated (viz. no points for this other than the ones you give yourself): Try to find a primary source that contains the following quote (translated from French into English) attributed to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry:
“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”